Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday

Gwen and I are staying home from church today to make sure Gwen is completely over her flu. Here's what we're reading/watching this beautiful morning:

Life Is O'erflowing with Beautiful Things
The Friend, July 2009


"A spurt may appear to be impressive in the short run, but steadiness over time is far more effective, far less dangerous, and produces far better results. Consecutive days of fasting, ultimately, may not be as spiritually edifying as successive months of appropriate fasting and worship on the designated fast Sunday. An attempt to pray one time for several hours likely will not produce the same spiritual results as meaningful morning and evening prayer offered consistently over several weeks. And a single scripture-reading marathon cannot produce the spiritual growth of steady scripture study across many months."

Elder David A. Bednar
Steadfast and Immovable, Always Abounding in Good Works
New Era, January 2008

4 comments:

The Snow Queen said...

I want to make my blog margins wider like yours. How do I do that? Dave and I are having a Halloween Party this year you should come down to it!

Emily said...

Melissa - I just use Blogger's templates - the one's that say "stretch" are wide like this one, but I don't know how to do it with anything cute like CutestBlogontheBlock. I would love to come to your Halloween party! I might be havin a baby this weekend though, so I probably shouldn't make any 6 hour car trips.

Ma n Pa said...

Steadfast and immovable: That's my goal. Thank you for the reminder. Love you all!

Ma n Pa said...

And - life IS o'erflowing with beautiful things.

You make our lives rich.
Love,
Mom