Thursday, November 19, 2009

Where is Heaven?

It hasn't even been two weeks and yet it seems as though Henry has always been a part of our family. A child's birth is such a spiritual moment; there is suddenly someone in the room, in your arms, that you didn't know before, and yet, you feel like you've always known and loved him.To hold Henry for the first time, to kiss him and smell him and stare into his eyes that couldn't yet focus on mine, was an experience I will keep in my heart and ponder, as Mary did, as I have with the birth of each of my children. I am filled with gratitude and wonder at the opportunity to love and raise and mother one of God's precious spirits. The veil is so thin when children come into this world. It is as though they are escorted by angels from heaven to their earthly home. Heaven is so close in that moment; you can feel the power of that tiny person's spirit, before they forget from whence they came and need us to teach them of where we are trying to return. My heart was filled with love for my son, for my husband, for my family. I could feel the love my Heavenly Father has for my little boy also. I want to always remember that feeling, the feeling that no matter how much I love my son, or my daughters, they are loved even more by their Heavenly Parents. Matthew and I have the sacred trust of teaching them that, so they can feel God's love for them just as we did the moment they were born.
Where is Heaven? Is it very far?
When you're with the ones you love, it's right where you are.

(Here are the detes: Friday night at 10:45 P.M., I had just layed down to go to sleep after tucking the girls in way past their bedtime & tidying up the house, when I felt/heard that familiar POP of my water breaking. I woke up Matthew and called his parents to come over & watch our sleeping girls. We hopped in the car and called the hospital to let them know we were on our way, and arrived in plenty of time to get checked in and all settled and comfy in the room. The nurses and staff were so kind and calm. My husband was awesome. He has gotten pretty good at the labor coach thing. All I needed was to hold his hand and know he was there. Henry was born at 11:50 P.M. His cry was music to our ears. I haven't slept much since then, but this newborn time is so fleeting, that I really don't care.)

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

He's so beautiful! I love him and I haven't even met him. What a sweet little man.

Maryann said...

Oh! What a sweet little boy...

Em, you made me remember what it was like when Landon made his appearance almost 12 years ago. These little guys are so very precious. Before you know it, you'll be ordaining Henry a deacon, just like his older cousin and only boy Nelson cousin, Landon! I can't believe how fast the years have flown by. I would give anything to hold my little baby boy again.

Henry is a very lucky little boy. What an incredible family he has here on Earth. Three big sisters to keep track of him and what an extended family too! Hold on Henry!

I can't wait to meet you, little Henry B.!

Aunt Maryann

Beth said...

What a beautiful message you brought us. I too feel honored to be a mother, even on the rough days.

He is a beautiful, precious child. Those pictures captured so much.

Christy said...

I can't wait to meet him. He is adorable (that's like 1000 cutes)

Maursupial said...

Well, I HAVE had the chance to hold him and let me tell you, as cute as those pictures are. . . and they are suuuuuuper cute, they don't hold a candle to the real thing.

Andrea said...

What would it be like to hear/feel "that familiar pop"? I guess I will never know. Although, these pictures make me want to try again. Almost.

Melissa said...

What a beautiful post, Emily. Congratulations!

Ma n Pa said...

Thanks for letting me come & visit for a week. I loved every minute with your precious family. Love you all!
Mom

Lori Wrankle, Traditional Midwife said...

Thanks for sharing your darling, little boy with all of us! So glad you made it to the hospital with time to spare and little stress!
I can't wait to set eyes on that boy...

Jamie said...

I'm going to only echo what everyone else has said but here I sit, tears falling, needing to say thanks for sharing your feelings, your story, your little son with us. I love the pictures. I can see more of what he looks like now than those first day pictures. He looks so sweet. I'm really hoping departure times work out in favor of meeting him this week.
by the way.. I can see you cut your hair again and I can't wait to see that either. It looks cute.
and... I never got to experience my water breaking and I always wanted to. I always went into labor first and the dr. always had to break it... oh well.

I'm excited you get to have the experience of having a son. It's going to be fun watching him grow up!

Jamie said...

I forgot to mention...
that little chin is the cutest thing in baby history and I LOVE that song. Mom/C used to sing that to us and I sing it to my kids. Love that song!

The Snow Queen said...

My water broke with Lily... it's a weird feeling when it pops. I wonder if anyone else could hear it, if they were in the room with you? It feels so audible.