Matthew here.
Chances are, if I've cornered you at any time in the past 10 months, I've talked to you about bees. I've told you that I'm going to get two bee hives. That I'm going to be a beekeeper. That I've been building hives. That I'm going to keep my bees in Woody's big messy back yard. That my dad is getting hives too. And that I've been buying equipment. (Somehow Emily didn't pay attention to all of this and, about a month ago, asked "What? You're geting bees?")
Yesterday, the bees arrived.
Dad and I got on the road at 5am and drove into Lehi at about 9. We drove up to a huge warehouse, parked, and stood in line with hundreds of other beginning bee keepers ("newbees" as it says in the Deseret News article) to buy some of the millions of bees that had had been loaded into a semi trailer in Chico, California and trucked to Utah overnight.
We filed in-- about 70th in line-- and I heard, for the first time in my life, the buzzing of over a million bees. The crowd was quiet and listened to the quiet hum for a minute or two, until the machinery started and folks started talking. In line we heard plans for the coming weeks, advice for "newbees", and if the rest of them were anything like Dad and me, bravado and bluffing.
There were packages of bees on pallets all along one wall in the warehouse. The professionals got to pick-up their bees first and their insects were loaded with forklifts into trailers. Each pallet had 90 packages, and each package had between 10,000 and 15,000 bees, with one queen. That means that there were between 900,000 and 135,000 bees on each pallet.
In the unloading process, at least one pallet fell and many of the packages were broken..., so there were thousands of bees flying around in the warehouse. Fun.
Here's a close-up of a bee package; now you don't have to imagine what 10,000 bees look like. You can see that the package had several bees clinging to the OUTSIDE of it (more on that, later) .
When it was finally our turn we picked out our bees (Minnesota Hygienic strain) and headed out the door. We walked to our vehicle with our four bee packages in hand and our stomaches in our throats. At this point, hundreds of the bees that had escaped the warehouse decided to congregate around and on us as we approached the vehicle.
I don't think I imagined this-- I swear that none of the other vehicles in the parking lot had more than even a few bees on them, while Dad's Isuzu had thousands of bees all over it. Maybe the golden color attracted them. I don't know, but Dad and I looked around for a while with puzzled looks on our faces, and decided to set the bee packages down so we could think through this situation. (When I say "puzzled" I really mean "terrified". And maybe, just maybe, we should have thought through the situation about 10 months ago.)
After we thought it through we decided that we didn't have any other choice, and placed the bees into the car with us and drove home. We were terrified puzzled. About once an hour we sprayed them with sugar-water to calm them, and let the meanest of the bees out of the vehicle. Dad drove. I was on guard. When the bees approached the front seats, we'd roll down the windows and blow them to the back of the SUV. It was fairly intense. We couldn't even pay attention to the Lois Lamour book on tape we'd listened to on the way there. (I wonder if Hondo ever ended up with the girl?)
We finally arrived in Toquerville-- totally over our fear of bees. The bees hadn't stung us yet, and we were safely at home, so we decided that we must be invincible. We sprayed our bees with sugar-water and let them rest in the shade until late afternoon when we could introduce them to their hives.
In the afternoon, we donned our suits and then shook our bees into their new hives.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but bees get annoyed when they get dumped into new hives.
Now, it might not make much difference to you, but those were Dad's hives. Below you'll see shots of my hives:
Don't let the blurry picture and the veil fool you. I'm terrified in this picture. (Perhaps you can see it in my body language.)


Some bee science for you:
In this shot, I'm placing the queen's cage between two frames before I dump the others into the hive box. She's in that little box, and the wire is there to hold it in place. The queen's box is plugged with a kind of candy. The bees that I bought aren't really her bees-- that is, they may or may not even be Minnesota Hygienics, and they definitely aren't from her hive-- The bee dealers just sell you any old type of bees so they don't really know her yet-- they just want to be close to her because she smells like a queen and they don't have anyone else to cling to. Funny thing is that if they could get to her right now they'd kill her. Over the next five days, the worker bees will eat away the candy and free her and by the time they get her out, they will be used to her smell and will accept her as their queen. After a few more weeks, all of the original bees will be dead and the ones that replace them will all be from eggs that my queen has laid. So, in a month or so, all of my bees will be Minnesota Hygienics. (And the "L" on my hand is for "Large"-- the size of the glove-- not "Left".)

Some bee science for you:
In this shot, I'm placing the queen's cage between two frames before I dump the others into the hive box. She's in that little box, and the wire is there to hold it in place. The queen's box is plugged with a kind of candy. The bees that I bought aren't really her bees-- that is, they may or may not even be Minnesota Hygienics, and they definitely aren't from her hive-- The bee dealers just sell you any old type of bees so they don't really know her yet-- they just want to be close to her because she smells like a queen and they don't have anyone else to cling to. Funny thing is that if they could get to her right now they'd kill her. Over the next five days, the worker bees will eat away the candy and free her and by the time they get her out, they will be used to her smell and will accept her as their queen. After a few more weeks, all of the original bees will be dead and the ones that replace them will all be from eggs that my queen has laid. So, in a month or so, all of my bees will be Minnesota Hygienics. (And the "L" on my hand is for "Large"-- the size of the glove-- not "Left".)
Isn't this an ideal sight? It warms my heart.
11 comments:
I had so many questions and you've answered most of them. What do the suits look like, how do they adapt to the new environment, what size gloves does Matthew wear, how did you transport them home? etc. Very informative, but you left out the stinging and the lost cell phone. I guess this was the abridged version! Good luck and I'm expecting some Lowe Quality Honey!
Seems like an awful lot of work just for some honey. Good luck to you. At first I was a little disappointed that you guys weren't able to stop by to see us on your way out of town. Now I'm glad! (not a big fan of bees, I was traumatized as a child)
This is awesome stuff. I loved the post matthew because the whole thing is intriguing. Mark is worried about when we come to visit re: getting stung but look at all this close contact you had on saturday and you came away with one measly little sting. Thanks for informing me tonight and making me laugh several times as well.
My grandpa and Ty's grandpa both kept bees - LOTS of bees (Ty's grandpa lived in S. Carolina, and his bees made this amazing honey that was almost black, and tasted like molasses...mmmmmm). My dad has always wanted to, but is just waiting for a time when his property is zoned for it. It kind of freaks me out, so I'm a little happy we live in a bee-free zone, or I'm sure Ty would have done it by now. We'll stick to chickens. Chickens don't sting.
Good luck with your bees!
I love that you describe the car ride as "intense".
Update: I had to refill the sugar-water in one of the hives tonight (you have to feed a new colony until it gets established.) and I've decided to 1) wear gloves every time I work with bees (I got stung on the hand) and 2) wear pants while working with bees. It's a little unnerving to have a bee fly up a pair of shorts while you're working.
"unnerving" -- that sounds accurate! ha!
My husband Danny reeeaaaally wants bees. I talked him out of it last year -- I figured a baby and chickens were enough for one year. He'll be so jealous when I show him this post. Too bad we don't live closer together -- we could trade eggs for honey!
Bees are definitely on our horizon...I'm just trying to hold off for one more year. They seem like a lot of work. You'll have to keep us posted!
Hope you have a few extra suits....cause some day we WILL come visit...and I am deathly afraid of bees!!!
Melissa, I've never met your husband, but I feel like he may be my long lost other brother.
I bet out there in WV, you'll have an easy time and a rich harvest. (Subliminal message to Danny: GET BEES.) When you get your bees, I'll tell you how well we do here in this dry hot country and you can snicker and tell me how easy you have it.
Hi Matthew,
Your writing is so fun to read! Thanks for sharing this "fun" day with us. I'm thinking of surrounding myself with candy, and hoping that when people around me find me at the center, they will accept ME as the queen. Until then, I'll just enjoy your stories.
Love to all!
I am so proud (and jealous) that you have bees.
I can't wait to have a yard and have some of my own bees. Especially since I have allergies and if you eat honey from local bees it really helps to lessen your allergies.
I will be looking forward to hearing how this all goes and hearing updates on all of your adventures as I am sure there will be plenty.
Post a Comment