Every mother I know knows better than to leave the house in pajamas. It's just a bad idea. It makes the individual mom look bad and it makes motherhood in general look bad, like it's all just staying home lounging around all day. That said, every mother I know has done it. I know I have, even though time after time I live to regret it. Take this morning for instance, I got up and it was just too cold to put on jeans, so I put on flannel pants. I made breakfast for my kids, combed hair, checked backpacks, etc. Suddenly it was time to go. I grabbed the baby, also still in his pajamas, but in my opinion, it's perfectly acceptable to take a baby out in their PJ's. Am I right? or lazy? Anyway, we all hopped in the van and hightailed it down the street and around the corner to the bus stop just in time to see the bus pull up. Perfect. I kiss my girls, they hop out and get in line as the bus doors open. I am almost in the clear. Then, Catherine spills the entire contents of her backpack all over the sidewalk. Weeks worth of kindergarten papers start to blow away in the cold morning wind. Oops, I guess I missed one backpack this morning. Bethany & Gwen help their little sister gather up her papers and books. The papers seem to be multiplying in thin air. The other kids make the busdriver wait as they help too. Two other moms get out of their cars to help. I stay in my nice warm van in my nice warm pajamas wondering what looks worse, to be seen outside on a busy street in flannel pants and slippers, or to be considered rude and heartless for not helping my 5-year old pick up her stuff, even as my friends, one of whom is pregnant, go out of their way to help. While I'm pondering, everyone else gets the stray papers back in Cate's backpack, the kids get on the bus, the Moms get back in their cars and everyone drives away, including me. I mouth Thank you before I drive home. I have learned my lesson yet again. Or have I?
5 comments:
It's the pj curse. When you wear the pjs every situation becomes a "weigh my options thing" instead of a "do the right thing" thing. I'm sure you remember my lovely braless pajama story where I watched my friend flail around on the ice waiting for someone other than me to come to her rescue and finally had to admit it was me, braless, or nobody and ended up inside the school for all to see. lovely. I hope I have learned my lesson.
word ver: emoma: a virtual momma who always looks coiffed and reacts perfectly in every situation. She does not exist in reality.....
I once took my friend to the SLC Airport at 4 AM, I threw on a sweatshirt w/ no bra and wore my PJ pants. It was 4 AM and a literal blizzard was going on outside, I was going to drop them at the curb and be on my way. Well, that was the morning that I got in that horrible accident. Airbags deployed, car totaled, and the accident was on the morning news. I ended up with 3rd degree burns on my left breast, standing on the side of the 215 with everyone and their mom driving by me. If I had been wearing a bra I'm sure the padding would have protected everything. So, there you go. Wear a bra, wear clothes. Life is just better that way. I hope that wasn't TMI, I apologize if it was, I just wanted everyone to get a good visual. :)
I have done the pajama thing as well. In fact I don't get dressed in my day clothes until after I drop off Ally for school. I guess there are worse things out there than someone seeing my pajamas but it is still embarrassing.
Someday we'll have to tell you the story of the Primary President stuck in our driveway in Hyrum early one morning.
It's true! It's totally a curse! The ONE (ok, maybe there were a few more times) time I wore my pj's to seminary, not cute pj's either, a nightshirt that was too short so I put on stretch pants under it, I got in an accident heading home. Sat on the side of the road as the whole HS volunteer firefighters class showed up, nice.
And when did Catherine get old enough to go to school??
Also, my dad was snapping pictures as evidence of proof (not my fault) so I have it on film too!
Post a Comment