
Our little Gwen is eight years old. Her dad baptized her on Saturday. It was a lovely day, peaceful, happy, and spent with family. She and a little girl in our ward share a birthday, so they shared their baptism day as well. It was a very sweet meeting. About ten little girls, neighbors and cousins of both girls, including Bethany, Gwen, and Catherine, sang "Baptism". Gwen looked like a little angel in her white dress holding hands with two of her friends who were also wearing their baptism dresses. It was one of those moments that just "fills your heart with love" like the old crab apple tree in Ferron in full bloom. My dad gave a beautiful and simple sermon on baptism and our Savior. The other girl's aunt talked about the Holy Ghost and all the blessings he can bring to our lives (Comforter, light, knowledge, protection, etc.) Matthew gave her a beautiful blessing; I wish she could remember every word throughout her life. She remembered the most important part today when she bore her testimony in Sacrament Meeting that she knew she could be married in the temple someday. She has started on her path to the temple, her own eternal family, and salvation.

I love her so much. I want every happiness for her. I know that the greatest happinesses in my life have come from keeping the commandments and following the prophets. I hope that Gwen grows up knowing where to find true happiness.
You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky.
(Anne Campbell)

These are the greatest joys in my life, the reasons for me to try harder each day, to prioritize my time, to serve and love and do my best. These are the ones who I only need to think of to bring me back on course when worldly sirens call. These dear ones give me hope for the future when I am discouraged. They make me proud and they make me humble. I am grateful for them, for my Gwen girl, my Bethany, my Cate, my Henry. & I am grateful for my good husband, who I sometimes take for granted because he is such a part of me, so steady and constant.
These are the moments of life that give us glimpses into eternity and make it all worth it. Thanks to all those who shared this special day with us & even more, thanks to all of you who have taught & influenced for good & loved Matthew & me and our family. Thank you for sharing this journey with us and for helping us along.
5 comments:
Oh, I am in love with that poem!
Our stake makes us (each primary pres. is in charge of a stake baptism once/year) get talks and musical numbers, but we're not allowed to use family members of the baptism children! Isn't that stupid? How much more special to remember that your grandpa gave a talk...or your mom sang a song, etc.?!
I'm glad the day was wonderful. And I can't believe you're old enough to have kids this old. Cause I know I'm not.
('cept I'd change pearls to Porsche...or designer clothes/shoes)
(my mind couldn't rest until I came back and make that correction. Duh.)
beautiful pictures. I'm glad our stake has changed from the horrible nonpersonal just get some teenager who needs a challenge to give the baptism talk to letting wards make it more personal and letting those involved in the actual baptism plan it and invite the speakers, prayers, etc. Our stake used to do it like Andrea's and now it is much better. I wish we could have been there and I love the poem too. I have had thoughts like that many times when I've been jealous of others taking trips I'd like to take or having nicer things. I would not trade them and must remember that the blessing they are in my life is worth more than a flat stomach and legs with no blue veins......
THanks for the reminder. love you all!
That is so beautiful-Your post made me tear up in happiness for all of our family who have the great joy of the gospel in their lives. I would have loved to her your father's sermon, he is such a strong sweet spirit I just love to be around him and your mom (two of my favorite people).
Your family has been blessed with wonderful spirits and I love that I get to watch those spirits continue to grow stronger and sweeter and closer to our Heavenly Father. Thank you for being such a wonderful example to me of what I need to be striving for.
I wish I got to see more of you and am so glad that Gwen now has the gift of the Holy Ghost. She is so beautiful in her baptism dress (and I love that her two front teeth are missing!).
Lots of love to all of you-
A special day, a beautiful daughter of God, a blessed family. We love you all.
Post a Comment