Sunday, January 25, 2009

Reading

The other night Gwen pulled out a stack of books at bedtime and instead of asking me to read them all to her, sat down and read them to her little sister. I love watching my girls learn to read. It is fascinating. I love the independence and discovery that comes as the letters on the page become words and the words become stories. I have loved watching Bethany read to Gwen, becuase it is such a sweet little act of kindness & because then I don't have to put down my book! Now, Gwen is reading to Cate. It fills my heart with love and gratitude for my little readers. I am excited for them to see worlds open up through books. I anticipate with joy the discussions we'll have about my favorites and the books that they'll introduce me to. The ability to read is a blessing of infinite worth and opportunity. I love seeing it sprout and grow in my children.


That night, her stack included:
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?

I don't think she finished Sylvester, but she read the rest of them. (Sylvester is a great book by the way, very silly & sweet, all of William Steig's books are.) I have a low tolerance for bad children's book and I'll vouch for that list. Each one will hold up to multiple readings without making you want to stick a fork in your eye. Other picture books that make the cut:

I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean
The Witch's Broom
Fanny's Dream
Where the Wild Things Are
Olivia
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus

What are your favorites?

8 comments:

Dan and Melissa said...

Awwww, that is so sweet with Gwen reading to Cate. Olivia is learning to love books as well, isn't is great?

Jamie said...

Our favorites are just about EVERY book written by Kevin Henkes:
Lily's plastic purse
Julius, Baby of the World,
Chrysanthemum
Sheila Rae the brave
Wemberly worried
Chester's way

How do dinosaurs say good night

Good night gorilla (though that's more telling and looking than actual reading)

Brown Bear Brown Bear

Chicka chicka boom boom

The very busy spider

I don't want to be a bunny

There's my short list.....
and very very cute pictures

Andrea said...

I know this is supposed to be about books and all, but I can't get over those pictures. Do your girls wear jewelry with their pajamas? Too cute. After all, a girl should ALWAYS look her best. And if that means bed time accessories then so be it.

I need to write these books down. I get so tired of sticking forks in my eyes. It would be nice to put the utensils away and enjoy reading for once.

Olivia is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I love Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle and Sandra Boynton (What's Wrong Little Pookie is very cute).
There are so many I can't name them all but I like all the Pigeon books and one called Don't Tickle the Duck.
I am taking a Children's Lit class right now and I love to see that your girls are reading so many books-reading is such a wonderful thing and so many magical worlds open up because of them. Great job on starting them early!

Christy said...

I love Sylvester and the magic pebble. Great book and fabulous pictures!

Ma n Pa said...

GOODNIGHT MOON. It reminds of little girls and boys now grown.

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing your good book list. We are always looking for new great reads. One of Madison's favorite books, and only fitting for a mother of 3 girls, is Pinkalicious. Another favorite is Hazel's Amazing Mother.

Mom and Dad said...

Catherine brought "Piggy Pie" to be read one Sat. night. It is delightful. Can't remember the author