Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Healthy Heart Day

Have I mentioned that I love Bethany's 2nd grade teacher? (Yes.) To celebrate Valentine's Day, she designated this week as Healthy Heart week. Her class focused on healthy eating habits & the importance of exercise. For their class party today, she asked the parents not to bring candy. "Our country has a growing problem of obesity and heart disease. At a young age we can learn how to protect our heart and keep it healthy! The kids are more than welcome to make or bring valentines for each kid in the class Friday. However, please send only healthy treats or none at all. We can learn to appreciate people's kind words and keep our heart healthy at the same time." Amen sister. Here's what my girls took to school today:

I got Gwen's valentines here. Cute huh? She colored them herself. She's not my perfectionist girl, she's my get-it-done girl. Catherine actually colors better than she does. All I care about is there's not a commercialized, sexualized princess or fairy in sight. (Not that I have the integrity to never spend money on or allow that stuff in my house. I just occasionally get on a feminist self-righteous soapbox.)

Bethany's:

Have a happy & healthy heart day today!

8 comments:

Emily said...

Just so I don't give anyone the wrong impression, I have to admit that Gwen's class is doing a good ol' hyperglycemic coma-inducing Valentine's Day party & I will have to help her eat her candy before Bethany gets home, just to be supportive.

Ma n Pa said...

Happy Valentines Day to everyone! And Gwen... I'm right with you on the "get it done" point of view!

Mom and Dad said...

Girls, I love your valentines!!! Guess what my very very special valentine is? Papa got us home safely to Toquerville through so many snow storms that I'm thankful to be in our warm home. Nothing is better than that except Grandchildren. Love to you, Grandma C.

Jamie said...

Jacob took stickers to the girls with a homemade tag we made that said "friends stick together" and we printed some paperairplanes and folding instructions off familyfun.com, rolled them like a scroll and added a homemade tag that said "you're just plane cool". I never send candy because
#1 I'm cheap
#2 They get so much freakin' candy already I don't feel the need to contribute.

I love Bethany's teacher's ideas. I love that she didn't just say "don't send candy" she tied it into the learning process and the best part...
we can learn to appreciate kind words. we all need to learn how to do that more.

I kinda like you on your feminist self-righteous soapbox. Now if you stayed there all the time might have to talk...... but I totally agree with you about the princesses... what's with Cinderella and Snow White's boob jobs. They used to be less-endowed in our childhood.

The Snow Queen said...

What, you don't think that teaching our daughters that (if you are pretty and have a melodious voice)and something bad happens to you a wonderful prince will swoop in save the day?

NO need for education or obedience just "bat your eyes and pucker up (Little Mermaid)". I SAY FORGET JASMINE AND ARIEL IN THEIR SLUTTY GET-UPS, bring on Mulan I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII etc. SHe's covered, she carries a sword, AND SHE saved CHINA!

You must see my blog I have the funniest post. Loves Meliss

Andrea said...

I know it's not what this post is about, but my absolute favorite is Peter Pan. If you want to feel some pure, unadulterated feminist rage turn up the volume at the beginning as the mother and father are walking away from their house, leaving their children alone (which, by the way, was apparently acceptable in London back in the day?). Not to mention the several other woman-degrading (and man-degrading and Indian-degrading...it runs the gamut) messages throughout the film.

However will we to teach our girls to catch a man if we don't inundate them with Disney? It's the only way.

Hooray for cheese sticks, by the way!

Jamie said...

I was just checking the comments on this post and wasn't going to make ANOTHER comment until I saw the word verification:

prechi:

made me laugh.....

personally, I like Cinderella. I'm going to write a whole post about why someday. I just wish they didnt' feel the need to change her bodice size to make her relevant.

Christy said...

In Peter Pan they left the kids with Nanny-the English Sheepdog-Not abandoned.