Sunday, May 10, 2009

Shelf Canyon

We went to Zion Saturday. How many Saturdays in a row is that? It must be summertime! This time we took the whole family. We found an awesome little hike that was just perfect for the girls. There was some bouldering, scrambling, stemming and lots of exploring. The park was packed on Saturday, no parking anywhere, tons of people, but we didn't see anyone else on this trail. It was about a mile walk into and back out of a narrow slot canyon. It was in the 90's that day, but the canyon was cool and shady. The girls could touch both walls at one point. After Shelf Canyon, we took another little walk down to some petroglyphs and saw pictures of mountain sheep just like the real mountain sheep we saw on the way. It was a great day. We brought the girls home happy and exhausted. They didn't fight us at bedtime. Success!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Is that petroglyph (what the heck is a petroglyph?) four hikers with backpacks?

Daron and Christina said...

Everytime I see pictures of that park, I hear a hymn in my head: "Come to Zion, Come to Zion" We'll see you soon.

Emily said...

Andrea - I think it is!

Daron - me too, every time, which is fairly often.

Maursupial said...

LOVE the pictures. When my foot is healed I want to go on this one with you. It looks too good to pass up, and the natural air conditioning sounds wonderful.

Emily said...

Maury - We can't wait to go back, so I might start asking you, How's your foot now? Is your foot better yet? How 'bout now? :)

Ma n Pa said...

We love the Lowes, and we love Zion! I loved the days when we would get home from some family outing. Everyone was tired after a long, fun day together. Just enough time & energy for a bath, some bread & butter, then straight to bed.
Thanks for sharing!

Jamie said...

beautiful. My kids wish you were their parents...
they love outdoor stuff. Rachel is still talking about her amazing day in the narrows with auntie em and Cate and the three legged cows of course....