Monday, December 21, 2009

Santa Claus was in town...

We had a very nice family night tonight where Catherine gave the lesson about the real meaning of Christmas. She told the story of Mary & Martha in her own words and we talked about the things that we could become cumbered about with at this time of year and how we need to choose that good part and make time to read and ponder the teachings of the Master. We listened to and sang a few Christmas carols and turned of all the lights and looked at the nativity in the light of the Christmas tree.

In the middle of family night, there was a knock at the door and we heard jingle bells outside. We were thrilled to see this jolly old elf at our door:

He and Sister Claus brought cookies and hugs and Bethany, Gwen, and Catherine each got to remind Santa what they wanted for Christmas. (Incidentally, only one of them asked for what we've already bought them, but oh well.) We thought we saw some deer in our yard the other evening, but after tonight, I'm pretty sure they were reindeer.

After the excitement of our suprise visitor we finished our lesson about the Savior. I thought about the unselfish service that this couple rendered tonight, out in the cold, bringing cheer and warmth to the neighborhood children. I thought about another neighbor, an old, single man, somewhat eccentric, who brought my family Christmas candy today. I thought about a sweet lady I serve with in Young Women who wouldn't take no for an answer and helped me with some housework this week. These are people who are going about doing good as the Savior did. I'm thankful that our lesson on the true meaning of Christmas was interupted by Santa Claus and I hope that this new year I can be like him, and be more like Him.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

My children (well, Sylas keeps saying he wants, "Nuffing" for Christmas, so he doesn't count) made lists last week (after all the shopping/wrapping was done - I know, I should have had them do it earlier, but I lost track of time, and I kept a list of the things they said they wanted...), and there was NOTHING on them that we (I mean Santa) bought. Oops. Now I'm hoping they're still young enough to be thrilled anyway. I think they are. And if they're not, well, we have work to do in the parenting department...cause I hate bratty kids.

Maryann said...

Give those cute girlies a big Christmas hug from their Aunt!!
Love you!!