Last week I was in Salt Lake for two, count 'em-- two-- conferences in Salt Lake (first, the Utah Conference Concerning Troubled Youth and, second, a BSA rock climbing instructor class which isn't technically a conference), so I missed the 3rd week hive inspection, so had to wait until today... 'cause the Lowes at 280 N Hillside Drive have been busy lately.
In the meantime, Aunt Christy ordered a mini bee suit. When UPS came with the box addressed to Catherine, she ripped it open, pulled it out and yelled, "I knew Cwisty would get me a bee suit! Because she's so nice!" I don't know if she knew it from the time she saw the package, or if she knew it all along, but she knew it.
This afternoon we opened the hives for a look-- one that was a week overdue.
This week we were checking for signs of the queen. A good queen can lay more than 2,000 eggs a day(more than her body weight).... so by now we should see baby bees at various stages of development, from eggs, to larvae, to nearly-emerging fully-formed bees ready to break out of the cells.
Here's Cate in her cute suit and pretty pink shoes:
Well, when we opened the first hive we didn't see any of that. It was depressing. We did see supersedure cells-- a bad sign-- and spotty brood-- which means that I have a worker bee who is panicking and laying eggs-- but because she has never mated she can only lay drone eggs.
Hive #1 has no queen, and is on its way to dying-out unless I can do something fast.
No signs of a queen here:
Or here:
Or here:

No signs of a queen here:
Or here:
But when we opened the second hive we found everything as it should be. I didn't see the queen, but I did see plenty of capped brood, honey, and bees acting normal... whatever that is.
I tried to get a close-up of the brood, but through the veil it was hard to see what I was aiming the camera at. Aren't they beautiful?

I don't know what to do. I need to find out what to do with a dying colony, and the advice I can find says my chances for success are slim. Should I order a new queen? Should I combine the two hives? I just don't know.
But, I do know that Catherine is pretty cute in her bee suit.
7 comments:
I am just riveted by your bee story.
I have no advice on the queen situation, but I cannot wait until I get to try some Lowe's honey.
Thanks, Beth. I hope we get some honey this year.
also riveted. That must be a little discouraging. what will the bees do without a queen? Will they die out? leave the hive? still make honey? Do you just start over and get another batch next year?
Do you know what went wrong?
totally not kidding about being riveted. no sarcasm. seriously interested.
ps
Cate is about the cutest thing ever in that beekeeper suit. I think she pretty much hits 100 cutes.
I'm so disappointed for you. I hope you can quickly figure out how to solve the problem and save the hive! Keep us posted! (and keep those cute pictures coming of the girls in their bee-suits)
Matt sorry for you loss. If you get another Queen fast you can save them
Dave
Humm...perhaps can we borrow Cate's suit for Halloween?! Where is the King bee....why doesn't he do something to save the colony?
Post a Comment