I mowed the lawn this morning for the first time this year. The girls played in the sprinklers yesterday for the first time this year. We planted strawberries, tomatoes, squash, green beans and basil in our square foot gardens. (The first box is mine, then Matthew's & we haven't filled the girls' box yet. We also need to finish the drip system before the really hot weather hits.)

We are all working on our farmer tans. The lilacs are done blooming and the lavendar is just starting.

My Valentine's Day Salvia is starting to bloom, too.
And look what I found just behind our property:
And look what I found just behind our property:
Meanwhile dishes and laundry pile up inside, because who can be burdened with such tasks when there are fragrant flowers and sunshine outside?
5 comments:
We want to square foot garden, too. Tell me all about how you built your boxes, and dimensions. Ty wants to go deeper than the recommended 6" for corn and such deeper-rooted things. We need to figure it out in a hurry before the sprinkler guy shows up and maps it all out without us! I made your cranberry ginger chicken today, but was gone all day - even longer than anticipated - and it was a little over done. dang. I'll try again some time.
Andrea,
We went 1+ foot deep, used the recommended 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 compost for the soil. The recommended box size is 4'x4', but we went 4'x 10'. It's also important to put 2 1/2 feet of space between the boxes so that you'll have enough room to work comfortably.
We ran a line INSIDE the boxes for irrigation, but if I could do that again, I'd put the irrigation outside of the boxes.
Do you have the book? (The ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening) I'd get it, plus the old one if you really want to do it right(the old book has some reference material that isn't available in the new one. You can get both for about $20 at the sfg website.)... Not that we are doing it right, but we THINK that we understand how Mel would do it. By the way, we now talk about Mel Bartholomew like he's a part of our family now. As in, "the planting guide on the back of this package of seeds says to plant at 4 inches. Mel says to plant every 3. I think I'll go with Mel."
Good luck.
Wow, you really answered my question - I am amazed. Thanks for the info! We are doing two 4x16's, and I never knew there was an ALL NEW sfg book - good to know! I've read the old one and gone to a class on it (from which I don't remember a single thing). What do you mean about running the irrigation line inside vs. outside? Is it part of your sprinkler system, or separate? Our sprinkler installer wants to just install normal lawn sprinklers, as if there were no garden - he says they will be fine for the garden AND grass, but I'm not so sure. I'd rather do a drip line - but that'll add more money/work to the deal. What do you think? Sheesh - maybe ya'll need a separate sfg blog, as much space as I'm taking up with this nonsense. If I could figure out how to square foot blog and cut my babbling by 80% we'd be doin' good. sorry.
Andrea,
Wahoo - someone who wants to talk sfg with us! Someone who uses the acronym sfg! ;) Blabber away! I'm going to e-mail you...
Post a Comment