Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Meanwhile...

After dropping off my big girls, Rachel, Catherine and I drove on up to Zion for a quick hike. We would've spent all day there, but I had to work at 2:30, so we just did the Riverside Walk and hiked up the Narrows a little way. (Yes, I had to work on my girls' first day of school. I wasn't there to meet them with a hug and an after school snack. Not feeling so good about my job lately... just your usual working-mom-guilt. I need a day job!)Rachel wants to go back ASAP. We'll have to plan a time next summer to explore more of our favorite National Park together.Rachel is truly a nature girl. She loved the scenery, the deer, the squirrels, the rapids, everything. She is also a little shutterbug, taking pictures constantly. I'm sure that love will develop into a great talent as she grows.


Catherine enjoyed all the attention from her cousin, playing in the shallow water and riding in the backpack for the two mile walk. She is getting HEAVY!

3 comments:

Maryann said...

Harley!!

Looks like a wonderful time with your youngest and your niece! I can't believe how grown up both of them are!

I hear you with the Mom guilt. Blame $4.00 a gallon for gas. And braces in the near future.

I cried last night when it hit me that Haylie was in 3rd grade and Landon was in 5th...I was actually crying because my kids are growing up and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I love to go in and check on my two kids after they have fallen asleep, right before I hit the sack and touch them on the face and give them a kiss. Lately, I have not been recognizing the cheek I kiss in Landon's room...who is this huge, strong, smelly boy in Landon's bed? Scary. Haylie is turning into a different person too. When did she lose her little girl face? It's almost more than I can bear.

Jeff did his best to console me...that was a lost cause. Poor guy, there is nothing you can say to make a Mommy feel better about her children growing up. So I went into my room to watch Phelps win another gold... This didn't help because they kept showing pictures of his childhood when he was 10 and 11...thanks NBC. I am pretty sure I cried myself to sleep.

Your gilrs are so grown up...sorry.

Tell them I love them and that I am so proud of them!!

Love, Maryann

Maursupial said...

What fun! I love hiking the narrows and Rachel looks like she's having a great time. I love the picture of Catherine, like always.

Christy said...

what a great day. Rachel is so fun to spend time with. Cate looked like she was having a blast too.