Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's Autumn time

These are the flowers I just ordered from High Country Gardens. I can't wait until they arrive. Fall is such a nice time of year here. The cooler days make me want to spend all my time outside digging in the dirt. There's still plenty of time to plant and let these flowers start growing before it gets cold.

Want to see the progress my high country garden has made this summer? I knew it! My Desert Willow in the front yard has really taken off. It was little more than a twig when I planted it early in the spring.
These were sticks when I planted them too. Any day now I'll have masses of bright yellow mini sunflowers!
This is a white lavender. I'm getting another one because it seems to do well on rocky slopes.
I can't remember the name of the bush on the left, but I'm glad it's finally blooming. I planted it a year or two ago. The small plants on the right are Agastache or Hummingbird Mint. They're supposed to get 3-4 feet high. I'm getting another one of them as well.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I love fall! Every morning (in between verses of "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning") I scan the hillside for bright red-leafed trees, which signal the onset of nature drive season. I wish it could stay fall for six months (the other six would be spring)!

Dan and Melissa said...

Good choice of flowers, they look like they will be beautiful! Great job on your plants already planted, how pretty.

Maryann said...

Your garden looks glorious!! I wish I could come and see it myself!!

I, myslef am planning to make some purchases through my garden-by-mail catalog. I am so excited!!

Keep the pictures coming!

Ma n Pa said...

I absolutely LOVE your desert willow! I love all the others, too. Is that curly-q sage on the far left?

I had a hummingbird mint that I loved. It was doing very well, blooming and beautiful, but it died when the country felines kept climbing up it - trying to catch the hummingbirds that came to feed on the flowers! It finally snapped in half and died. That is a true story. We hadn't seen hummingbirds anywhere near here before, nor have we seen them since.
Love,
Mom

Ma n Pa said...

P.S.
Maryann can order anything she wants, because everything grows lush and green in Indiana. When Emily & I were visiting last summer, whenever we would see a drought-tolerant plant, we would just wonder: WHY? Why are you growing that when you can grow HOSTAS! With leaves the size of truck tires! It rains in Indiana! So, Maryann, enjoy your ordering. The plant world is at your feet.
Love,
Mom

Christy said...

Beautiful!!!!!!