Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Harvest

We were thrilled to discover carrots in our garden yesterday. We planted them in the girls' box, next to the corn and forgot about them. Now that the corn is mostly ripe & picked and cut down, the carrots are visible again. We ate a bunch raw - delicious! and put the rest in a delicious stir-fry. (carrots, cabbage, red pepper, celery, onion & chicken - can you picture it? It was almost too pretty to eat!)

I also picked lots of green beans last week - finally. I didn't think I'd actually get to harvest any this year. I have no idea why they took so long. Other veggies that did well this year: Roma & cherry tomatoes, soy beans (edamame - YUM!), basil, corn, peppers & jalapenos. Our pumpkin plant died half-way through the summer, as well as our watermelon. Oh well, we'll try again next year! Our garden will be bigger and better & hopefully we'll grow enough to bottle & freeze some, this year we've eaten everything we've harvested.

8 comments:

Maryann said...

You make me want to plant a massive garden and only eat the food we grow ourselves....

My nieces are so cute!!!

M:)

Dan and Melissa said...

Yummm..the carrots look great. Ours turned out good this year as well, though not quite as big as yours.

Maursupial said...

How exciting. I used to love to eat food that we'd grown in our yard. Of course, now that I live in a second story condo I'm outta luck!

Christy said...

Yummmy! They look great. Cate seems very proud and slightly scared of her carrot.

Ross said...

oh man! i lost my pumpkin this year too! :(

The girls look great!! :)

Ma n Pa said...

Your gardens lesson to me:
Some seeds sown in life, often forgotten, continue to grow unnoticed. They take what nourishment comes their way and when in time revealed, emerge to to astonish with fruit so bitter or so sweet.
Your fertile ground bears delicious fruit, the carrots look great too.
Dad.

The Snow Queen said...

Your dad is so prophetic! I agree the fruits of your labor are so sweet.

Palmer family said...

Harvest time is the BEST! We love having a garden and eating fresh veggies out of it! It is LOTS of work but worth it, I think! Our garden gets bigger every year. I love planting new "items" each year "just to give it a try." Sometimes things don't grow (like our butternut squash and red potatoes this year), but that is Okay! Way to go. So fun!