Sunday, October 12, 2008

One of those days

Yesterday was one of those perfect days. We drove up to the cabin Friday evening after work. We made a big fire and taught the girls to play Dominoes. Saturday we slept in, made a big Cabin Breakfast (omelets and pancakes), went on a little walk in the snow, warmed up with Stephen's Roasted Hazelnut Gourmet Hot Cocoa, and read and napped by the fire. It was a beautiful, quiet, cozy day.
(Oh, we also toured the new cabin & it is beautiful! Dad & Mom you should be so proud of your handiwork.) The perfect end to the perfect day: coming home, putting all three girls in our big jetted tub for a bubble bath, putting them to bed clean & tired & happy & then a turn in the tub for me. Ahhhhh.
It was one of those days where I was surrounded with the people and things I love: my family, books, nature. A day without need or want. Without reminders of the holiday shopping season or the teetering economy. Simple. What I want my life to be like more often, quiet, loving, appreciative of this wonderful world and the special relationships in my life. As I get ready to get ready for the holidays, I made a little goal and mental note yesterday, to remember what's really important, what really makes me happy, what I really need this season. & it's not a perfect tree or designer decor or dozens of handmade Christmas cards, though a little of that sure is fun isn't it? But only if it is not at the expense of what really matters. It is the peace that comes on evenings after my daughters are in bed & I know that they know that I love them and I haven't been impatient and cross all day. It is talking to my husband about more than what babysitter he's picking up the girls from the next day, but about the funny and intellectual and spiritual things that we loved to talk about since we met. It is time spent reading and pondering the scriptures and the words of living prophets. What I really need, what I really want, is to share a holiday season with my family that will bring us closer to each other and closer to the Lord, to strengthen our testimonies and feel the blessing of the Spirit in our home more, to let our extended family know how much we love them, to be grateful for our bountiful lives.

11 comments:

Andrea said...

That's EXACTLY what Ty and I were discussing last night (minus the cabin vacation package)! I was re-affirming my dedication to focusing on what really matters, and letting go of all the silly, superficial, stressful (and other things that don't start with s) things that don't matter, and Ty was helping me brain storm ideas to help us in that endeavor. I can now face another holiday season with feelings of excitement and joy, rather than overwhelmed anxiety.
p.s. everything was spot on except that you forgot to write, "visiting old friends more."

Maursupial said...

Beautiful post Emily. Thank you for that.

Maursupial said...

beautiful post and beautiful testimony. I will pass a long an idea that I had for this christmas. In place of a "thing" they will get "time and companionship" Hope none of my kids read this....

I will wrap them all individually. I was thinking of saving can, corn cans, tomato sauce cans, etc. and cleaning them and putting the coupon in side and then wrapping.

Each child will get 12 gift certificate for McDonalds, Subway, cafe rio, whatever is appropriate to their tastes and our budget. Like the littlest may have all McDonalds happy meals while the older ones may have quite a variety. maybe one month will just be a dessert coupon (ice cream at Macey's). or a dollar movie, etc. There will be 6 dates with dad and 6 dates with mom for each kid.

I'm really excited about it. nothing to pick up off the floor. just time and something fun to build our relationships.

Jamie said...

oops! that wasn't maursupial. THat was jamie. I have GOT to get in the habit of checking who the computer says I am before I make comments!

Dan and Melissa said...

That was a great post Emily. Very inspiring and got me thinking as well. Thanks!y

user said...

Wonderful post. You are a great writer. Thank you!

Maryann said...

Thank you for your thoughts before the crazy holiday rush begins.

I am looking at your snow in disbelief. It was 85+ degrees at Landon's football game on Saturday. You seem worlds away.

Miss you,
Maryann

Christy said...

Beautiful pictures and beautiful post.

Emily said...

Andrea, I would love to hear what ideas you came up with!

Maury, I mean Jamie ;) - great idea! I love that you're giving time instead of stuff.


& Matthew took those pictures, not me!

Adam and Melisa said...

Sounds Perfect!

Mr Lowe said...

I was wondering what kids Maury had...and thought wow what a great present for your school kids, but wow that is going to get expensive...