Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Cure for Cabin Fever:

ZION!

When friends called Friday night to see if we wanted to take the kids hiking the next day, I hesitated because there is always so much to do over the weekend, and I thought laundry, homework, scrubbing bathrooms were more important. I agreed, though, because lately I can hardly stand to look out the window at the beautiful mountains, blue sky, stripes of red rock and white snow on the bluffs, and not immediately turn east from wherever I'm going and head out to ZNP to explore a little, and see some views.


Our first idea was to take the kids to see some petroglyphs. Matthew was sure he remembered where they were, but the terrain looks a little different in the wintertime, and they redid the road last year, and we started hiking without any idea of where we were or where we were going. We didn't go far, don't worry, just far enough to walk along a frozen streambed and admire the icicles hanging off the walls. Just far enough to realize that it wasn't just a streambed, but a real stream, and not as frozen as we thought. Cue loud cracking ice and screaming children.

Catherine's own words:
It was super icy. And also scary and rocky. It was all mountain. We got to climb some of the rocks. It was so so fun.

We were walking along and we heard you guys yelling, and we were helping everyone across and it started breaking. I started scremaing. I even almost fell in the water. One whole entire piece broke down. I started crying.

A huge piece of the ice broke and I was on it and my mom helped me, she pulled me up because that was the piece of ice I was standing on.

Awesome huh? Just so you know, the only danger the children were ever in was getting their feet wet in a few inches of water and whining about it for the rest of the day. So, really, the parents were the ones in real danger.
After we got back to the car, I checked everyone's shoes to make sure they were still dry. Gwen complained that her feet were cold because she wasn't wearing socks. WHAT?! You have a coat, gloves, and boots on and NO SOCKS? Sheesh kid. Luckily, cold feet are my worst fear ever, so I was wearing two pair of socks, and I gave her a pair. She owes me big time.

We also went on the Overlook Trail, which we have done many times, but it's always fun.

My girls are little lizards on the rocks. Big lizards actually.

Bethany and the kid on the left are kindred spirits. Smart, earnest, imaginative & endearingly geeky.


Gwen and this little girl are also two peas in a pod. Girly, chatty, princesses. Wait, are they pointing at me?


"Gwen, look at your Mom. What is she wearing?" "I know, she's so embarrassing." "Mine too." "Only eight more years until I get my license, and then we won't need them anymore."


Henry loved the snow, hot chocolate, and his hat.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

cute kids, cute pictures, cute commentary.
I laughed at your imagined conversation. It seemed possible from the looks on the faces that you hit the nail on the head.
and how is it possible you got outdoor winter shots of a baby without a snotty nose. impressive.

Matthew said...

Gray eyes. My grandpa Lowe had the same color.

Melissa said...

My mouth was hanging open as I read Catherine's account! I had quite a scene playing out in my head.

Those are some great pictures of all the kids. Henry is so big! What an adorable little boy!

Ma n Pa said...

We are so glad that you were able to save your children from falling into icy water! Darling children! We love you all.

Jenafer Lowe said...

I can't get enough of these pictures, especially of Baby Boy Lowe, sigh.