Saturday, March 15, 2008

Zion

We went camping & hiking in Zion this week for spring break. We found a trail a mile long that led to a breathtaking view. The Canyon Overlook. It's just past the 1st tunnel. Don't you always want to stop and look out the windows cut out of the mountain when you drive through that tunnel? This hike gives you the same view. The trail edged along a deep canyon, so Matthew held Catherine on his shoulders & I held Gwen's hand. Bethany is trustworthy enough to stay away from the edge. Gwen just doesn't have that much sense. She asked me, "Why does Bethany get to walk ahead? Why doesn't Bethany have to hold your hand?" even as she twirled in circles & leaped & skipped beside me. Well, my dear, because you would skip right off this cliff if I let go. We told the girls that this was good practice for the bigger hikes we go on without them. If you can be obedient and safe on this trail, we said, we'll be able to take you up Angels Landing in a few years. Bethany proved herself, but I think Gwen will be able to go rapelling with us before we trust her to stay on a trail like that, because then she'd be in a harness tied to a rope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun!! I miss the view and elevations in Utah especially in southern Utah. Keep the pictures coming!!

Andrea said...

Whew! Makes me grateful I'm too out of shape to go hiking - what might happen to the kids?! Yeah, right. They'd be fine...it's me that would fall off a cliff.