I read this earlier in the week and it totally resonates with me:
The composer Stravinsky had written a new piece with a difficult violin passage. After it had been in rehearsal for several weeks, the solo violinist came to Stravinsky and said he was sorry, he had tried his best, but the passage was too difficult, no violinist could play it. Stravinsky said, "I understand that. What I am after is the sound of someone trying to play it."
5 comments:
I don't think Emily is going to write again until someone comments on her sunday quote.... so here goes :)
very very thought provoking quote. I have honestly thought about it a lot this week. A friend told me once re: trying something new....
"do it and do it badly" you know it was very freeing. I am always so afraid of making mistakes, wasting some resource, that often I dont' even try. When she told me this I marched home and fixed Samantha's screen. her old one had a hole from Jacob throwing DARTS at it.... "I didnt' know that would put a hole in it... REALLY, I didn't!!!!!" I bought the supplies and they sat for a YEAR. One simple quote which gave me permission to fail and I came home and made a new screen. and you know it's not perfect but it doesn't have holes and it's there! Next time... I bet I could do it even better!!!!!
Bravo! When Dave and I were first married we had a very little house. It didn't take us long to pay it off. Then we bought a bigger house and we still had the little house. Dave wanted to keep the little house and I was nervous about renting it out because it seemed scary to me. So we sold the little house even though we really didn't need the money. The next two years the housing market went crazy and we could have made 200,000$ more had we sold it then. I learned that the worst thing that can happen is you fail and that only means you start over. I can start over, that's not that hard. So why waste time worrying over something that may or may not happen? Yep, that's my not 200,000$ richer attitude. Next time the market dives and then goes up again I will be ready!
MElissa
You got me Jamie - I'm holding you all hostage - no new posts until you acknowledge each & every rambling word on this blog! In reality, I just haven't had much to say this week - I could complain about work, allergies & my new haircut, but who really wants to read about that? I'm spending this weekend with my parents and their goats, so hopefully I'll have more material when I get home!
Are you saying no one likes to read about our complaints? Oops, guess I got this blog thing all wrong. That's why I started one - so I could say whatever I want and "vent", if you will (or even if you won't). I DID like your quote! I liked Melissa and dave's comment - we had an very similar experience, but actually DID fail (leave it to us for the most outlandishly unimaginable thing in the world to happen) and had to start over - it's not what it's all cracked up to be, just for the record. But we survived. Just thought I'd add a little pessimism to your day. :/ It could have been a lot worse, for which we count our blessings (and hold our breaths for the statute of limitations to expire so we can move on with our lives with less fear). Hope your weekend is fabulous!
Emily,
I want you to know that this quote totally inspired me this week. I realized some things about myself and was brave enough to go and face my principal who was kinder than I expected. So, thank you.
Post a Comment