Don't let their cute little smiling faces fool you. These two are terrors. The girl is mine, the boy is a good friend's son; we baby sit each other's kids often. Each one of these toddlers is a pleasant, fairly obedient, good-natured little thing on their own, but together they're like the vinegar and baking soda in your childhood science fair volcanoes; safe, n
on-toxic and stable until you mix them and get a stinky bubbling reaction all over the kitchen counter, or in my case, spilled milk all over the kitchen floor, Cate's bed sheets and blankets all over the front room, cat food all over the patio and peanut butter and honey all over the kids. Where was I?, you may ask. My husband did. Well, I was in my jetted tub having my regular midmorning bubble bath, reading a Harlequin and eating bon-bons. But I gave the children very specific instructions to sit on the couch and read their library books for twenty minutes, then get themselves a healthy snack, then lay down for a nap. And under no circumstances were they to get out any band-aids, peanut butter or cat food. Or throw blocks or rocks at each other. Or raid the pantry for chocolate chips.Maybe I should ask my friend if they give her a hard time at her house. Do they combine their powers to create chaos in her home too? But what if they don't? What if they're good for her? What if she keeps them occupied with positive, social-skill building activities every minute they're in her care? Then I might have guilt. And she might ask exactly what they do at my house. And she might suspect that I spend most of the time they’re here organizing my closet and painting my toenails. And then she’d never bring them here again and I’d have to quit my job because do you know how hard it is to find day care in this town?
After watching me clean up the patio, the little boy said to me, “I’m sorry. I’ll never do that again.” You better not you sweet little thing, but what will you two think of next?
And what exactly, is a bon-bon?
7 comments:
A bon bon is a thing that husbands made up to explain why their day at their cushy job went so well and ours looks like a train wreck. (everyday) I eat them on a regular basis and now with 4 I might as well be made of bon bons and I have finished I think 20 Harlequinn Romances this week. I didn't do the dishes but I did take 5 bubble baths. I didn't get up with the baby (what seems like 30 )4 times last night either. I'm Mary Flippin' Poppins over here!
I actually have a box of bon bons hidden up in my closet. THey are MINE! MINE! MINe! and nobody knows about them and in those moments when there is peanut butter, cat food, honey, peanut butter or *horror* poop, smeared or scattered somewhere.... I go to said closet, eat a bon bon with my eyes closed and sigh....
This is my dream job... this is my dream job... this is my dream job...
and you know.... 97.5% of the time, it IS! But that 2.5% that was not in the job description I dreamed of, can really take a lot out of you!
Defending myself:
I DID ask the question, "Where were you?" but I asked it after she told me the story of what the 2 3-year-olds did (and made it sound like it had all happened at once.)
It sounds worse when you say, "they smeared peanut butter and honey all over themselves, ran outside and mixed all of the cat food with water, came inside and dragged all the bedsheets into the front room and then poured milk and cereal all over the kitchen floor." I mean, who WOULDN'T ask, "Where were you?"
Now if you tell me, "They smeared peanut butter and honey all over themselves today. I caught them and then later..." it just sounds more --hmmm-- responsible.
I know that this may be a dangerous arena, but can anyone see my side on this?
No, Matthew. There is no "YOUR" side of this, and there never will be, so quit while you're ahead. And by the way Em, your friend Melissa (of Melissa and dave) is funny! Oh, and of course you are too, silly girl! Hey, didn't WE build a volcano together in the 4th grade? I distinctly remember the vinegar and soda routine. And I seem to remember raiding our moms' stash of chocolate chips, too. Sounds like you have your hands full with these two - I swear I don't know why you hear so much about the "terrible twos"...it's all about the threes for me - AAahh!
In all fairness, I have asked Matthew where he was at times too. When Bethany cut her hair when she was 3, I know I asked him WHERE WERE YOU? I didn't appreciate the question so much when she cut her hair AGAIN on my watch. It's a thin line to walk between my day was infinitely harder than yours & I am still the responsible, loving, hard-working mother you knew I'd be when we got married. ;)
Yeah, a bit of a double standard we women live, eh? At least I know I do. I never SAY it, but I think, "What the ___ were you doing while the kids ran amok?" when I get home after leaving Ty with the kids. Like last weekend, for instance, when I came home to find PAINT (yes, paint, and not the washable kind - the kind you paint houses with) all over Sylas' brand new, best, cutest, Sunday sweater, which he shouldn't have been wearing on a Saturday afternoon. But instead I just laughed and threw it away. Cause after all, I'm sure Ty feels just as much dismay at what looks like unproductive chaos around here - every day. And I think all readers of your blog know that Matthew didn't say it in a malicious manner, rather he was probably concerned that you had been in some sort of home-making accident that kept you from wrangling the children in a timely fashion. :)
p.s. sorry to be so wordy. That's what happens when your husband is gone to meetings from 6:30 am to 12:30 am (that's not a typo - A.M.)on Sunday - you (I) tend to be full of things to say come Monday.
Whoa! So much emotion on this blog... I love it! I haven't reponded to any of your hillarious exchanges (Matt & Emily) but I just had to chime in on this one... especially after Mary Poppins (Melissa) stated her opinion. Oh bytheway this is Adam. I totally remember the time when Beth cut her own hair and that mean old daddy of hers said something like.."look how ugly you are!!" and then he was depressed for like 4 months afterwards. He would come to our YM Presidency meetings and lament on how he had ruined his child's self esteem for the rest of her life. So.. I have to take Emily's side on this one. I mean what is worse, poope smeared all over the house.. or... causing ireversible damage to your young child's self image.
We miss you guys tons and love checking in on your blog. We have got to come down your way and hang out for a weekend or something.
Post a Comment