Monday, January 10, 2011

What's on this memory card?

Some hiking pictures:

Threatening water:
Christmas Eve:


& morning:

a New Year's Eve Ball:



What's on my memory?


Going to the temple with my husband, two if his sisters, and his parents. Feeling earthly and heavenly love there.


Helping my daughters with their Christmas gifts to cousins and each other. We have a little tradition of going to the Dollar Store to let the girls pick out gifts for each other. I thought they might be too old for it this year, and we'd have to start springing for some more expensive presents, but my girls proved me wrong. In a store full of cheap trinkets, they each managed to find something thoughtful and special for their sisters. I was impressed, and grateful.


Seeing so many family members on both sides of our family. What a blessing to have so many wonderful people to share this life with.


Watching Masters of the Universe (He-Man) with my little brothers. Throwing out quotes from movies, books, etc. and trying to stump each other. Talking about The Road.


Going rappelling with Matthew, Christy, and the big nieces and nephews. I was so proud of everyone for doing something they were a little afraid to do. It's a good feeling isn't it? Actually, I don't know about Rachel & Jake. They were such naturals on the rope; I don't think they felt any fear at all!


The best thing about Christmas this year was that it came just the same. I didn't worry as much this year about all the trimmings, shopping, etc. I did find time to relax, and to read about and ponder the humble life of our Savior. I spent time with my family (Lowes & Nelsons), which was rejuvinating to my soul. I let my children teach me about giving from the heart. I lowered my expectations just a little this year, and because of that, Christmas surpassed them! I still did my fair share of spending and stressing, but I am learning to let go of what's less important, to make time for what is. I also did plenty of shopping for next Christmas and have big plans for a new tree, but hopefully I can remember how nice it is to just pick a few things to do, and not try to do it all. Christmas is about Christ after all, and He spent his time loving people and teaching them to love each other. That's what matters. That's what's memorable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful spirit to have for Christmas - I want to try to do it too (though its hard in all the hustle and bustle).
I cannot believe how big your beautiful kids are getting-especially Henry. He is not as little as the last time I saw him.
Love the pic of the New Years Ball, you Nelsons are so fun and know how to have a good time.
Happy New Year to you all!

Christy said...

Beautiful post and pictures. You are an example to me. Thanks for taking us rapelling. I still haven't read the Road, but after RS mid week activity, I might make it a night. Love you!

Ma n Pa said...

We went for a walk up & down the lane yesterday. Along both sides of the lane were many,many little foot/boot prints from "llama walks" from last week. Even the new snowfall didn't cover them. How wonderful it was to have you all here. We love you!

Unknown said...

I look forward to your posts. They are so uplifting and often bring tears of joy. Thank you for letting me share your wonderful family through your blog. It's so fun to see the kids grow up. Without your blog they would stay the ages they were when I worked with Matt at Three Falls. I love the saga of the bees, the hikes, and especially the smiling faces of your beautiful children. Thanks.