Thursday, December 25, 2008

In Bethlehem

Not far from Mount Moriah
where the Father of the Faithful
built an altar of native stone,
and binding Isaac, laid him
on the fire-ready wood
of sacrifice, before he saw
the thicket-caught ram,

Mary lays her firstborn son,
wrapped in swaddling bands,
on tinder-dry hay
in limestone
manger
of a stable-cave.

Fulfilled again are words
of Abraham—
God will provide Himself a lamb.

Sharon Price Anderson, “In Bethlehem,” Ensign, Feb 2008, 10

2 comments:

Ma n Pa said...

I love this. I remember reading it before, and I'm glad you posted it so I could read it again.

Years later in Gethsemane and on Golgotha, no lamb was in the thicket to spare the Son's suffering. God, for us, provided Himself a Lamb.

Apryl said...

Sorry we missed you guys this season. We went through Kanab on the way back and other than Flagstaff it was all clear. But it was a busy day of driving. We started at 5am in Mexico and finished at 11 pm in Brigham. I'm glad that drive is over.