Bethany turned eight last week and was baptized on Saturday. Thank you to all of our sweet family family members for driving from near & far for our special day. It meant so much to us to have you all here.
We had a rainstorm the night before with lots of lightning & the loudest thunder I've heard in years. My girls slept through the whole thing, but it made our opening song, "I Like to Look for Rainbows" more memorable to me. I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain. Bethany looked beautiful in her new white dress, new white sandals, freshly pedicured toes, new necklace & bracelet from Grandma Carla & new headband from Aunt Jena.
(She also had a new haircut from the Paul Mitchell Hair School, but that's another story...) She was so happy all day. She just smiled & walked around with a spring in her step that was more like a high jump.
Dinner afterwards was easy and delicious thanks to everyone bringing salads, fruit, beans, etc. We drank gallons of homemade root beer and watched the cousins swarm our hillside. It was a beautiful day in so many ways. One I will never forget. It feels like I am entering into a new phase of motherhood. Letting go a little more, letting my children make their own decisions and be accountable for them. It's scary, but exciting. I know that this is the Lord's plan. I wonder if he has the same feelings about us, wondering if we're ready, if he's taught us enough. But of course, he knows we are and he knows he has and will continue to teach us. I pray for the faith to raise my daughters (& soon - son!) in the way my Heavenly Father wants me to, so that they'll be ready when decisions come that they need to make entirely on their own. That they'll have the testimony they need to seek their Father's help and follow their Brother's example when those hard decisions come. The beauty of the gospel is that even though I must let my children make their own choices someday, they do not really need to make those choices alone, they have perfect parents who will lead and guide them when I fall short. I hope that I can just show them where to look and who to follow. Its seems as though only yesterday we were holding Bethany in our arms and taking her to church for her baby blessing and now she has taken her own first steps in her journey back home. I am just grateful that I get to walk this path with her.
One more picture, I know Matthew's blinking in it, but everyone always says how much Bethany looks like me, so I thought I'd post this & ask, where do you think Bethany got her eyes?
9 comments:
How exciting! Tell Bethany congratulations from her almost related Aunt Andrea.
p.s. I have that same dress that you're wearing in the family picture. We are totally twins.
Erin & Ryan's twins were baptized on Saturday also. It seems like the past 8 years have gone by in a blink of the eye, doesn't it? Your daughter is beautiful, complete with beautiful toes! (Liam and Quinn managed to slick their red hair down....) I'm sure I can speak for all the 'old' (grandparents) folks, we are SO proud of all you 'kids' for the way you are raising YOUR kids. Seeing you teaching your children to love and live the gospel is such a PAYDAY for us!!
Thanks for sharing this special day.
(and I think your 3 girls look like their parents, the best of you both!)
Wow, getting baptized already! She sure is growing up! She looked so lovely wearing her baptism dress. What a special day!
It was such a joy to be there with you all. I love when we get to be together as a family. I love seeing all of our kids together. This is the best part of the gospel: family!
Why is there no mention of THE GAME????
In all seriousness, we were so happy to be there. It is always wonderful to see family and be uplifted by the gospel. Matthew and Emily, you have always been great examples for me, and now, me and my wife.
Waht a beautiful girl, beautiful family, beautiful day. We wish so much that we could have been there.
Bethany, I am so proud of you and your decision to be baptized. We love you so very much.
What a beautiful girl, and what a beautiful day it was. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. You are all so very precious to us.
Love you all!
8?...are you sure? You and your daughters look absolutely beautiful. (so do you Matthew) Sounds like the perfect day!
Bethany sure is pretty! I'm glad the day was nice!
Post a Comment