Steri-strips from my work: Free
Trip to the instacare: $30
Peace of mind: Priceless?
Gwen got to go fishing with her Dad, Papa and Uncle on Labor Day. She had a great time, even though they didn't catch anything. Sometimes those middle children need some time when they're the only one. She also got frozen yogurt from Maverick, so it was a pretty good day for her. The only parts she didn't like were (her words): coming home, not catching anything and cuttting her head open. She was running around the boat in the parking lot and hit her head on the motor. She ran crying to Matthew who looked at her and thought she was fine until he took off her hat and blood started running down her face. They applied pressure, stopped the bleeding and stuck a butterfly bandaid on it. That night I cleaned it up a little more and put a steri-strip on it. We all thought she was going to be fine. She went to school Tuesday, no problems. She went to school today, no problems until after lunch when it started bleeding again. Her teacher gave her some tissue and sent her to the office. The school counselor called me and told me that my daughter's forehead was gushing blood and I needed to come get her immediately. (I think he was overreacting a little, he seemed a little squeamish about blood.) I picked her up and figured I'd better take her to the Instacare. My nurse's instinct (Oh, you'll be fine! It's a flesh wound! Cowgirl up!) had obviously led me wrong and she probably needed a stitch or two. I paid the $30 co-pay and waited only a minute or two for the doctor. He came in, took a quick look at her forehead and told me to do exactly what I'd done on Monday, well, actually, he told his nurse to. She cleaned up the cut and put new steri-strips on it and sent us on our way. He said if it started bleeding again, just to put a little pressure on it and leave the steri-strips in place. Thanks doc, that's exactly what I thought, I just thought I was being a good mom for once by taking my kid to the doctor when they were bleeding profusely. Now, I love to be right and all, but I don't like to pay $30 to find out I'm right. Oh well, at least she got her steri-strips honestly.
15 comments:
OUCH! Gwen, you are a tough little girl, glad we could see all of you over the weekend.
Tell Gwen We're sorry she got hurt. Hmmmm...what was wrong with that squeemish counselor? Matthew, really? The son of a vet should be able to handle a little blood. Just kidding. Love to you all!
Gwen, you are so tough!!!
I love you!
Aunt Maryann
Matthew was the school counselor? I totally missed that...sorry Emily, you need to include more details, I apparently can not read between the lines. Matthew-cowboy up!
When Gwenyth got to our house after the trip to the "doctor???" she was all smiles and reported in a grinning whisper" "I got a Dairy Queen ice cream cone!!!" Plus she was carrying a new box of sidewalk chalk...how could a trip to the doctor get any better than that!!! Plus Plus...no stitches! She was one happy cousin to get to share her spoils (not the cone...that was long gone)with the Boca children before they HAD to leave for Orem.
Ahhh, to be the middle child and have to suffer like that! Gma, Unca Deedo, Aunt Jena and Dad did suffer through a Barbie mermaid movie however! Oh the pain of it!
I hate stuff like that. And why would a Dr. charge you to tell you that? What a dork. Last time I had a question about a cut I was in a huge hurry, so I asked (after waiting a half hour in the lobby and going through all sorts of paper towels in the mean time) the secretary if I could just have a nurse come out and look because I REALLY needed to go. The Dr. ended up popping out, taking a look, and telling me that Saylor's foot probably needed a couple stitches, but that if it were HER daughter, she'd just butterfly bandaid it. I took her word for it and left. No charge. Now I recommend that instacare to everyone I know. I think there should be a drive-through for questions like that - when you don't KNOW if you need a Dr. or not. Heck, I'd even pay five bucks to go through the drive through.
Long enough comment for ya?
Yes, Matthew was the school counselor & her head wasn't really gushing blood & he actually didn't call me in a panic. I just wanted to give him a hard time. ;) It was nice to know that my poor injured daughter was sitting in her Daddy's office waiting for me though.
The perks of a job in education may not be in the pay, but they're there!
ooh, ooh, brown-eyed girl.
I have a girl in my class who has brown eyes that look a lot like Gwen's. I really try not to have favorites, but... I even listened to her "cat litter" story today.
Hope your head is all better, Gwen! Your parents take such good care of you!
Love you all,
Booma
I did NOT call in a panic. This post is what some might call "revisionist history". Now, I want to repeat: I DID NOT CALL IN A PANIC. Yes, her head was bleeding but the bleeding had stopped by the time I called.
I called Emily (AKA Revisionist Historian) and told her that Gwen's head was bleeding again... and she decided to take an hour off of work and drive her to the InstaCare-- so it wasn't, technically, my idea to drive her over there. I did agree with my nurse wife that it would be a fine idea, but I didn't even suggest it.
I am, for the record, squeamish about blood... MY BLOOD. (I also don't like to hear gruesome tales from the surgical floor where Emily works.) But I'm fine performing first aid (which I did on Monday in the parking lot of the Maverick when I put the butterfly bandage on Gwen's head.)
I'm not asking for a medal or anything. I just want props where props are due.
Word verification word: nogess-- Where Gwen had a butterfly bandage.
OK, OK, so the fact that I got to go to work a few hours late might have influenced my decision to take her to the InstaCare just a little.
& props to you, Matthew, for putting on her Bandaid & not passing out. ;)
Oh... my new word verification word: grainkle-- as in, "Take Emily's post with a grainkle of salt."
Just goes to show that "mamma knows best!" Glad she is ok.
Papa says: "How can it get any better than that!!! To say, "I had a fishin' accident!"
Post a Comment