Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Legacy

My mom told me the other day she read in an old American history textbook that the Mormon Pioneers came to Utah to practice irrigation. We laughed about the Saints looking at their City Beautiful and thinking, this is just too easy. We imagined Brigham Young leading them west and not stopping until they reached a land dry and barren enough to really give them a challenge. Oh sure, I've heard there was some religious persecution too, but the main reason was that Nauvoo was too fertile. Irrigation is our Jihad, our struggle.

In keeping with my pioneer heritage, I have been irrigating. I set up a drip system that reaches all my precious High Country Gardens purchases and Vinca starts from Mom tucked in the rocks of our backyard. I'll finish the front yard tomorrow. I have a very small olive tree, an even smaller desert willow (it looks like a twig) and a few tiny bushes and flowers. I tell you, this yard will be gorgeous in five to ten years.

Our Square Foot Gardens are doing O.K. The plants in my box that survived the cold wind of the last few weeks are looking a little pathetic. Matthew's are thriving. I'm trying not to be bitter. Lots of wind again today.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

We are anticipating grass shoots any day. Ty scans the yard thoroughly each evening, and can tell you the precise placement of each seed that has already sprouted (I think there are a total of five now) - aren't plants fun? Maybe THIS will be the weekend we build our SFG! I've been telling myself that for two months now, but I figure as fickle as the weather has been, we're still not too late. I'm so glad some old history geezer finally solved the riddle of the pioneers! Up until now I have remained completely perplexed as to why they would risk their very lives just for religious freedom, or even more baffling: to obey the voice of their God. It's all so obvious now: To practice the higher law of irrigation!