Catherine is potty-trained (knock on wood). That's not saying we won't ever have an accident, or that she still won't wear pull-ups on long drives or at night, but she wore Dora panties all day long today & didn't pee one drop on the Explorer!
I am having mixed emotions about this. I'm mostly ecstatic that we won't be dealing with diapers this summer at the beach, but I'm also a little depressed because with three kids, in big kid underwear, I don't really fit into the New Mom category anymore, or the Young Mom category. And I liked that category. It's the one where anything you do is commendable. It's the one where even if all you do is get yourself dressed and your hair styled before 4 o'clock in the afternoon, it's an accomplishment. And if you actually have dinner ready for your husband, or get a load of laundry done, or go back to work, everyone admires you and says things like, "I just don't know how you do it all!" But I have a feeling those days are over. I am entering the category where you're expected to feed and clothe your children and yourself every day, to be in the PTA, to keep up on the laundry, to have meals planned, to have your kids in all kinds of lessons and classes, to their hair, to do your own hair, etc. I think it's just the plain old Mom category. So, it is with some hesitation that I step into this new phase of my life, but overall I'm excited and relieved to have made it this far.
9 comments:
Congratulation to Bethany, Gwen, and now Catherine! The diaperless (or pretty close to it) girls!
I remember once someone telling me, "I don't know how you do it!" I remember thinking, "What is it you think I am doing?" Whatever it was, I probably wasn't.
Good luck on the dinner menus. The other night, I asked Dad if he'd like some chips & salsa. He most likely thought that that would be a pleasant prelude to supper. Nope, it WAS supper.
Love you all!
Aw crap. Are you telling me that I only have another year (two if I'm lucky) of excused absences from life? This is something I had not thought of (which is surprising, as I like to worry about future events in my spare time), but thank you for bringing it to light! Next time I find a moment alone and have time to finish a thought I'll be sure to worry the tar out of this one. I have been putting off for the past 7 years all the things I didn't have time for, thinking I'd do them when my kids are old enough to take care of themselves. But now I realize that the time I will gain will have to be relegated to all the tasks I HAVEN'T been doing, but that are normal and even expected behaviors of the civilized world. There goes all my plans.
From one Mom whose children have not required diapers for quite some time to another Mom just setting foot into this new world...you will love it and look back longingly at the same time. (You may not look back longingly for a while...)
I look at Landon and Haylie and long for the days when their biggest challenge was nose picking, and keeping those Bob the Builder briefs dry.
Your children get older and things like diapers become a thing of the past, but the problems that replace them are harder and tougher and a lot more painful. The older your kids get the more they desperatley need you and the subjests you find yourself addressing are much more heart wrenching and intense. Leaving those diaper days behind is bittersweet.
But Congratulations are in order! Catherine, I am so proud of you...and you too Emily! This is as much your victory as Catherine's. You have now left the time in your life when you constantly worry about what is coming out of everyone's behind.
As far as dinner menus...we haven't had one of those for 6 months, probably longer! I think it is taco night tonight though. It is a rare night when there isn't anywhere we need to be.
Yes, there are now unwritten rules about hair, ironing, meetings, dinner, etc. Welcome to this whole new existance, GOOD LUCK!!! Call me anytime you need back up motivation or support!
Wait a minute! We get to have dinner now?
Awesome!
Now that there's dinner, I'll be moving to Tocquerville. Congradulations Emily and Catherine!!!!
Emily,
Hope you don't mind me snoopin' around your blog, but I just had to see what you're up to these days. I love reading your blog, by the way. You are such a cute Mom, just like I remember your own mama. I can't believe that I used to babysit you and now you are all grown up with kids of your own. Anyway, just wanted to say Hi!
you know em, sometimes transitions can be hard. I have struggled it seems this whole year with what will be different for me now that I'm getting ready to send my baby to kindergarten. I have had kids home all day for 14 years and I dont' quite know what to do with myself as I look to the next stage. It is a little frightening. Maybe because I identified so much with this part of who I was and I don't know who I'll be without my babies at home to take care of...
sure.. I know there still will be lots of work to do. Just ask Christy how many loads of laundry we do a week at this house w/7 people but still.... It's a little frightening. I've never been good with big changes. I also feel like more? different? things will be expected of me. (However, rest assured that my fear is not great enough to prompt me to try for #6)
You mean to tell me that some day I won't be wiping bottoms, wiping faces, and wiping noses! I find myself longing for diaperless days, but I don't want my children to grow up! They are still innocent....well...mostly. Just today Logan asked me if Jesus could come to our house!
For the record...I think you are still young! Keep up the good work!
ok...that last coment was from Melisa...sorry. Apparantly Adam has created his own profile now!
Post a Comment