I went to a funeral today and it was such a joyful and uplifting and grateful experience. I am so thankful for the heritage that is mine. I feel like being a much better person now, because looking back on the family I came from, I have no excuse not to be. I know that my children will grow up with the same wonder, gratitude and love for their aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins. Precious and rare are the moments when we feel what is really important in this life, when the veil is thin and we feel the presence of our ancestors. Spirits from "beyond sunlight's setting" rejoiced with us today and welcomed Kerry as we said goodbye.
Let Peace Then Still the Strife
Text: David Warner
Let peace then still the strife,
The loneliness and grief,
Come heal the piercing silence of passing.
And sweet familiar strains,
The voices lost in death,
Arise in songs of hope everlasting.
Then let the voices roll
As waves upon the sea;
Come forth and break upon us, refreshing.
And barren coves be filled,
O'erflow with reverie!
Let mem'ry salve as Gilead's caressing.
And though the balm be spread,
Let tender rifts remain
That breaking hearts not yield to forgetting.
For hearts rent wide at death,
Unfolded to our dead,
Hear singing from beyond sunlight's setting.
Then sing, beloved ones,
Reach o'er the summer sea.
Pour forth thy boundless love for us living!
Sweep into ev'ry soul,
Make music of our tears,
Turn all our songs to joy and thanksgiving!
And when we silent pass,
From far across the sea
Let praises ring for life's wond'rous blessing.
Then sing ye living souls!
Sing generations past,
Swell high the tide of life, us refreshing!
Sing forth as with one voice,
Bear silent grief away,
Resound with peace and hope everlasting!
And all who wait and sing
Sing on from earth and heav'n
And make our crossing forth joyful passing!
Amen!
4 comments:
Funerals are so neat if you've no regrets and the person who passed on was a decent being. Don't they just bring home to you how amazing life is and how lucky we are to have one another? I almost always leave funerals with such gratitude and reverence, as well as a stronger resolve to live better.
Emily, Thank you for your words. I love that song and think of it often when I remember those who have gone on before.
I am so glad you got to go to the funeral. Our uncle will be missed, but I am so glad knowing he is on the other side cheering for us!
hooray! the time has come! we will see you soon! eve cant wait to see your girls...she didnt sleep a wink last night she was so excited.
that begs the question, however, what is she so excited about every other night.
Dad here, Thank you Emily, sweet daughter, for your hospitality and making us feel so at home and special over the weekend. Thanks to your great husband and sweet girls. Thank you for putting into words such tender, venerable feelings.
Post a Comment