Gwen turned six last week. Six seems much older than five, more than five seemed older than four. Maybe that's just my denial talking. She had a great birthday weekend. Saturday morning, we took her rapelling all by herself. She got to try out the new harness we just got the girls. Is it not the cutest thing you've ever seen? She loved being the center of our attention and we loved spending that time with just her. (One kid is really easy to keep track of!)
Sunday was Gwen's actual birthday and it was a little more low-key. It was filled with meetings, naps, and home teachers. I stole a few moments that evening to hold Gwen and tell her about our first day together six years ago. I told her how I held her and smelled her and how she slept and cooed. She fit so snuggly in my arms then. Sunday night while we cuddled on the couch, her legs hanging off my lap, I thought what millions of mother before me, and millions more after me, will think, how fleeting childhood is, how precious. How little time I really have to teach and shape and love my beautiful daughters before they are grown and making decisions and families on their own. What a responsibility parenthood is! These short years are so vital to the health and happines of our children; it is worth any and every sacrifice to put them first, because they won't always be so little and teachable. There will be time later for work, a career even, for school, a graduate degree possibly, for developing talents, for more socializing than just playdates. Right now, I am happy to be home this morning, listening to Gwen & Cate play in the other room, doing their breakfast dishes, teaching them to do laundry. This afternoon, we'll pick up Bethany from school and go grocery shopping and I'll try to soak up every second of our time together. I don't have any romanticized memories of my babies; it was dang hard work, and I keep enjoying them more and more the older they get. I just don't wanna miss a thing.
12 comments:
Awww, little Gwen is getting so big! I remember our Nursery days together, and that doesn't seem like so long ago. Love the picture with you, her, and Matthew at the end.
Was the harness supposed to be the cutest thing I've ever seen, or the girl with the mouth half open and wink? Cause I'm no mountain climber, but there's really no contest there.
Great post Em. Gwenyth is beautiful and a wonderful girl. I know I love her! I'm glad you had such a wonderful day together, good family memories. I also love the picture at the end, one to frame for sure.
I was reading something today about ferral children. Sad! The mental health profession who was writing it said that basically who we are is who we are at 6. We may get bigger, but who we are is pretty much set by 6. I don't know if I totally agree with that, but it is interesting. You have done a wonderful jog shaping your daughters. They are wonderful little people and they will only get better! Love you Gwen!
Beautiful post, Emily! (this is maury's old roommie)
Happy birthday to Gwen!
What a great day. I love that Gwen was able to have a day all to her self. (that's what I really want, but never happens for me) Next time we're out I'd love to go back out with you-that was so fun. Emily you are doing a great job with your girls, they are wonderful and unique.
What a fun day that was!! Gwen is just about the cutest rappeller I've ever seen. I love the wink.
She's a wonderful delicious little girl!! I'm glad that if I have to be somewhere hanging out with a broken leg, it's near you and Matthew and the girls!
I remember soon after Gwen was born I flew to CA to spend some time with my little girl and her little girls. (And also my tall, dark, and handsome son-in-law!)
Gwen was such a precious little thing. One afternoon that particularly stands out in my mind: Bethany and I went for a walk so that Emily & newborn Gwen could have an afternoon nap. I held little Beth's hand and we strolled along the sidewalks. It was so wonderful to have some time with Bethany. We enjoyed our walk in the beautiful February weather in sunny southern CA.
When Emily came down after their little rest, she and baby Gwen looked so sweet together. Emily thanked me and said, "It was just so nice to have some time with my baby."
Precious memories.
Love you all!
Thanks everyone. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by so many lovely people that love me & my girlies.
Gwen,
Happy Birthday! I wish I was there to "give you smiles" in person!
Em, you are a terrific momma! Those girlies of yours are the luckiest in the world!
Maryann
I just can't believe that is little balled-headed Gwen. She looks so grown up and is so beautiful! Happy Birthday Gwen!
Too cute! I love that your girls get to do the activities that you at Matthew enjoy, too bad my kids won't have such active parents!
Post a Comment