Monday, June 30, 2008

My little princess

Gwen, yesterday, wearing a ballerina outfit, a long black cape on her head to be her long black hair, and every scrap of plastic sparkly jewelry she owns:

Mom, I'm trying to attract a prince. I'm walking around the land where all the princes are and that's why I'm wearing all this jewelry, so one will fall in love with me.

I asked my husband where she gets this stuff, I'm not raising her to believe her only goal in life is to be pretty and attract a man. He just said, "Yeah right, that was you at Ricks College."

Hm. I guess he's right. It worked though! I got my prince!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Did you hit him?

Ma n Pa said...

Emily,
As a teenager (wait, how old were you when you met Matthew?)

Anyway... I remember very clearly the night of a dance (Homecoming, in fact - right Maryann?) when we had to sit you down and do your hair. Why? Because you had put it in a ponytail. Nothing wrong with that, but knowing that some nervous boy was going to show up with a corsage, we thought that maybe... well, you get the picture. Your response? "Why? My hair was in a ponytail when he asked me to the dance."

Then we said, "Emily, we'll do your hair. Then put on every piece of jewelry you can find so that when you go to the dance, all the princes in the land will fall in love with you."

Love you,
Mom

Andrea said...

Apparently no one else was your roommate and saw your extensive man-catching-jewelry collection. You've been teaching Gwenyth all wrong. Don't you remember ANYTHING from Ricks? If she wants a prince to fall in love with her she should shun him, act really naive (what? you don't want to be my best buddy? you want to KISS me?), and want nothing more than for him NOT to fall in love with her - VOILA!

Emily said...

Like I said, Where does she get it? She's going to be 16 or 17 someday & I will have no idea how to relate to her when she's doing her hair for a dance & asks me what jewelry she should wear. Let me help you with that ponytail Gwen.

Jamie said...

Thanks for the ponytail story ma.. That is great Emily.
I remember Matthew telling me one of the reasons he knew you were his kind of woman was he called unexpectedly fairly early one morning and asked if you wanted to go do something and said he'd be right over and you were ready. He didn't have to wait for you to gussy up and yet you looked great! Do I have that right Matthew...