Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Memorable Weekend

As I mentioned, we had a busy Memorial Day weekend. My parents came down Saturday evening, so we spent the day cleaning & getting ready for their visit. Any hope I had of fooling my mother into thinking that my spotless home was normal went out the window as soon as Gwen led her grandparents from room to room showing them how clean everything was and telling them how hard we worked. She even showed them the bathroom, opening the toilet and saying "Look how shiny!" Then it was my turn to lead my parents around & show them all my plants. Daron, Christina & Ross came down Sunday evening & we had a yummy dinner after church prepared by my sweet husband. Monday morning, me and the boys got up early, packed lunches and drove out to Zion for a canyoneering adventure down Spry Canyon. Mom, Christina and my girls stayed home and had adventures of their own. (I can't thank you enough for watching them that day.) They cleaned my fridge, took the granddaughters/nieces to Dairy Queen, and had dinner waiting for us when we returned cold, wet, exhausted and hungry. There was one point when I was standing in the windy slot canyon shivering from wading through chest deep cold, stale water, that I thought, "I could've stayed home with the girls." It was an awsome day though. Dad, Dennis & I went through Spry Canyon last year, and I hadn't stopped talking about it. I was so glad Matthew got to go this time. Canyoneering is seriously the most fun you can have as an adult. I know I linked to this yesterday, but here are the pictures Dad took. I'm the one in the green sweatshirt and pink helmet (Christmas present from my husband - he knows the way to my heart!) My parents and Ross had to drive home Monday night, but Daron & Christina stayed longer, so on Tuesday I dragged them out to Zion again and we hiked up the Canyon Overlook trail (much easier this time with a 1 to 1 kid/adult ratio) and then walked down to our favorite top-secret swimming hole that we take everyone to who visits us because it's the coolest spot ever. Daron & I jumped in a few times; the water was very refreshing. Bethany, Gwen & Cate waded and splashed and made mud pies & Christina took pictures. I didn't take my camera to play in the water - my hands were full with thing 1, 2 and 3, (I'll have to get copies from your camera sometime) and the other pictures I took are on film (What's that?), so I'll develop them next time I drive into the city. Just wanted to share a few more detes of the weekend. It was so fun and we are all pretty worn out! Matthew & I are trying to decide what canyon to try next!

4 comments:

Matthew said...

"the most fun you can have as an adult."

Agreed.

Thanks, Dad, for taking us out on that trip.

Emily and I have decided that Mystery Canyon will be our next canyon. Whaddya say, Nelsons?

Maryann said...

I checked out your pictures last night...they were amazing!! You guys are so brave...the hanging upside down thing is new to me, you look like Spider Man!

J Ryan said...

Nice pics...hiking, repelling, etc. not sure if I could do that.

Ma n Pa said...

That's very clever... turning the pictures so that vertical appears horizontal.
I love you all,
Ma