My Dad is the nicest guy in the world. He will deny it, because that's what nice guys do, but ask anyone that's met him and they'll tell you the same thing. He's also humble, kind, adventurous, brave and silly. I am a lucky (blessed, I know) girl to have him for my Dad. Even as a child I was aware of my privilege. I remember being at my grandparents' house when I was little and hearing the Tarzan yell as Dad swung out of the 40 foot high tree swing he hung in the Cottonwoods. I remember bursting with pride as I raced my cousins down the hill for our turn to scramble up the massive tree and swing out.
My Dad took me, my siblings and countless cousins climbing, rappelling, hiking and exploring as I was growing up. I cherish the memories of Dad and me in the woods, in a river, on a rock, in the snow or hanging from a rope off the edge of a cliff. I’ve always been proud that my dad took me with him, taught me how to tie knots and how to snowplough. He would encourage me to go a little faster, but he never made me feel like he had to slow down to wait for me. I don’t think I am ever as motivated physically as when I am following my dad or when he is letting me lead. I could almost go on forever; I wish I had that same motivation when it's just me jogging in Toquerville. I think that if I remember him, remember our times together, that I can have that motivation. And not just to push myself harder physically, but also to push myself to be a better person, to read the scriptures, be kinder, spend the time with my girls that they need, love my family, do my best at work, etc. My dad has taught me to do things right, to do things all the way, to push a little harder, go a little further, on the trail and in life.
I have enjoyed many a scenic view with my Dad after a strenuous trail. We both love this planet, this Earth. There have been times, high in the mountains when the veil has seemed thin, like the air, when heaven has seemed nearer, even all around us, and I glimpsed what our Heavenly Father’s Plan really is, what it really means. I've learned a little more about forever families and true happiness: to work hard together for the same goal, and enjoy the same view.
He has always been there for me. He has been at the other end of my rope when I fell climbing, and encouraged me to try again. He has reinforced my worth in high school when friends were thoughtless or unkind. He has been there for me, my brothers and sister, my Mom and so many others that have crossed his path, er, trail.
Thanks Dad. Happy Birthday! I love you!
9 comments:
Thanks for the nice post, Emily.
Before I married into this family I snooped around, and I couldn't find anyone who would tell me anything bad about my in-laws. I didn't think that anybody could be as perfect as they seemed to be… and now that I've known them for almost a decade I realize that they aren't as good as they appear on the surface... they're even better. (They aren't just nice to people to their faces; they say nice stuff about people behind their backs too!) They are two of the nicest people I've ever met.
For those who don't know my Father-in-law: Emily is not exaggerating; he really is that nice.
Dad, happy birthday.
This reminds me of something you wrote on our "Know what I love more" list in college (don't worry - I think I have it memorized), and I quote, "#36: My Dad (yours too)". And so I leave you with the same thought. From what I remember, your dad always wears a smile, not to mention he was nice enough to drive and drop me off in Provo to meet my parents that summer I came to visit you. Isn't it such a blessing to have a great dad? A blessing you never fully appreciate until you're grown and see how many rotten dads there are out there and how many little girls just want a Daddy who will love them and treat them nice.
What a great post about a great guy. I know I'm only a sister to an actual real life son in law, but I claim the Nelsons as family. They are wonderful people. The nicest compliment someone could recieve would be to say they were like Bro Nelson. He is AWESOME and really the nicest person you could ever meet!
I spent one Christmas when Mom and Dad were on their mission with the Nelsons. They didn't need to open their home to me on Christmas, and they didn't need to be nice about it, but they were both. I know that I learned more about the Savior that Christmas because of the Nelsons who I love and count as family, even though I'm not an anything-in-law.
I know I'm being repetitive but I have to chime in about Your Dad too Emily. First of all he helped raise you! THat's almost saying it all...
but second, while we lived in Brigham Mark & I would often see him at church functions and he had the ability to make you feel really special by the way he greets you and asks sincerely about your well-being. after a "hello, how are you" with your dad you walk away feeling 10 feet taller. He is sincerely kind.
There isn't much to say after what Emily wrote...I love you Dad.
I love this family - all of you! Dad is indeed a good person, and so are all of you. At the funeral of my cousin about ten years ago, I remember hearing the quote: "It is better to be 'good' than to be 'clever.' I've thought about that many times. My tongue is often a little too sharp... and I want to be good. (No hope for the clever - so I may as well go for good...)
Anyway - you are all both!
Matthew here,
That reminds me of the line in the movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels where Steve Martin (a con-artist) says to a woman whom he is schmoozing, "As my Gram-gram used to say, 'It is better to be nice and good, than to not.'"
Dear Emily, this is your dad. My heart is overflowing, so are my eyes. I am so very grateful to Our Father in Heaven for each one of our family and for such wonderful people who have shared their lives with us. There is no one with a bigger heart or that is more generous than the Lowes. Thanks to all for your love and kindness. Just so you know, Emily through her goodness has helped me be a better person and someday I hope to be as good a dad as she has described. Thanks again Emily. Love you all!
Post a Comment